The Adster Online Advertising Blog!
Top 10 Canadian Citations for Local businesses and Local Search Marketers!Feb 13, 2013 by Andrew Forster to Blog
I know, I know – ANOTHER article on local SEO and citations?! What can I say, since Google went ahead and broke everything and took away my birthday I‘ve spent countless hours researching and refining our systems and strategies to suit. This list I’m going to share you with fellow Small Business Owners and local SEO’ers – I’ve compiled myself over the last 3 years with the help of many of the industries brightest. It may not be ‘news’ to some of you, but others may mind find a gem or two in here worth sharing or using in their arsenal.
For those of you who aren’t sure what citations are, read up on it here.
Andrews Top 10 Citations for Canadian businesses are …. *drumroll*
1. YellowPages – Booooo! You have to love to hate them, but ‘Yellow Bird’ has a lot of weight and authority in the online industry, and in many cases, a Yellow Pages listing (even if unclaimed) can create a Google Places listing all on its lonesome.
2. 411 – Let me apologize before-hand for the blitz of phone calls you’ll receive once you sign up. Is the ‘platinum listing’ really worth it? Well according to our analytics, 4 visits a year doesn’t justify 400 a month. You’re better off giving that money to us … pretty please!!
3. Ic.gc.ca – Dangit! Who let the cat out of the bag on this one?! This used to be my prized possession- my little ‘ace in the hole’. It looks like this bad boy is used quite frequently nowadays, so I can safely share this on my list, but I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT … just kidding, or am I?
4. Yelp – In my experiences, Yelp can be a giant pain in the ass but ‘apparently’ this one’s important. I really wish this wasn’t on the list, but, it is and I’m not even saying that ‘cause we have negative reviews or something (although, if you want to leave us a few kind words … by all means).
5. BBB.org – Not only can you get a link from these guys if you’re a member (thank-YOU PR 4 do-follow link) but it can act as a killer citation even if you don’t have a paid listing. Ya just gotta ask reeaaaaaaaaal nice, ya know?
6. Canada 411 – Bug, nat … is there a little similarity there - I think there is! This one is pretty self-explanatory. Canada 411, 411, Yellow Pages … it just makes sense, doesn’t it?
7. Weblocal – Ah my French comrades out East. How could your citation arsenal be complete, without calling in to speak with their lovely, friendly and ever-so bi-lingual support staff?
8. Ibegin – Boring design – check. Directory – check. Useful citation – check! Hells yes! Grab this baby if you wanna get the ‘for realz rankings yo!’
9. Manta – Good GOD you didn’t go to Manta.ca did you? Those things are serious business.
10. Goldbook – Enter the code “J4STKi|)|)iNG” to see the Gorilla play ‘In the Air Tonight’ by Phil Collins like that sweet commercial!